La Abelia floribunda it is a lovely garden shrub. With its small green leaves and wonderful pink flowers, it is one of those plants that looks good almost anywhere. In addition, it is not very difficult to take care of, but you have to know its needs to have it perfect.
So if you would like to be able to enjoy it to the fullest, you can't miss this special article about one of the most interesting species.
Table of Contents
Origin and characteristics
Our protagonist is a plant native to Mexico whose scientific name is Abelia floribunda. It is popularly known as abelia, and it is an evergreen shrub - it remains evergreen - that develops arched branches up to 3 meters. Its leaves are small, 1cm long, dark green and oval.
Blooms in summer until early fall. The flowers are tubular, bright pinkish-red, 2-3cm long.
What are their cares?
If you want to get a copy, we recommend providing the following care:
It is important that you place your Abelia floribunda outside, in full sun. In addition, it must be in an area protected from cold and dry winds, otherwise the tips of the leaves will turn brown.
- the garden: grows in all types of soils, but will do better in those that have good drainage and are slightly acidic (pH 6 to 7).
- Flower pot: You can use universal growing medium that they sell in any nursery or garden store. You can also get it by clicking here!.
You have to water 3-4 times a week in summer, and a little less the rest of the year. It is highly recommended to use rainwater or lime-free. If you can't get either one, fill a pot or bucket with water and let it sit overnight. So the next day you can use it to water.
Planting or transplanting time
In spring, when the risk of frost has passed. If you have it in a pot, remember transplant it every 2 years.
To avoid a matted appearance, it is necessary to prune it annually after flowering. So that, You have to remove all the branches that are sick, weak or dry, and trim the old branches at ground level. This way you will get it to take out new ones, and make it look much healthier and stronger.
Of course, use pruning shears previously disinfected with pharmacy alcohol, since even if you keep them in a very, very clean place, there may be a risk of viral (virus), fungal (fungal) or bacterial infection.
La Abelia floribunda it is multiplied by cuttings and by air layering. Let's see how to proceed in each case:
To multiply by cuttings you have to follow this step by step:
- In early spring (late March in the Northern Hemisphere), cut off a semi-woody branch that is at least 30 inches tall.
- Then infuse your foundation with powdered rooting hormones (you can get them here!) or with homemade rooting agents.
- Then fill a pot with universal growing medium and water.
- Next, make a hole right in the center of the pot and plant the cutting there.
- Finally, you can sprinkle a little sulfur or copper to prevent the appearance of fungus, and place the pot outside, in a place protected from direct sunlight.
If all goes well, you will have a new plant within a month.
To multiply by air layering you must follow this step by step:
- In spring, cut a ring of bark measuring 1cm using a razor previously disinfected with pharmacy alcohol.
- Then, spray the area from which the bark has been removed with water, and infuse it with powdered rooting hormones.
- Then, take a black plastic bag and cut off the end that is closed and then pass it through the branch.
- Using a rope or zip tie, tie one end and fill the bag with universal growing medium previously moistened with water.
- Lastly, tie the other end.
Another way to get new specimens is by partially burying a branch from which a ring of bark has been removed, leaving the leaves on the surface of the ground.
Regardless of what type of layer you use, you will have a new plant after 1-2 months.
La Abelia floribunda is a plant that resists cold and frost down to -3ºC.
What uses is it given?
Is used as garden ornamental plant. Either as isolated specimens or in groups, such as in hedges, it looks phenomenal. And, as we have discussed, it can also be grown in a pot throughout its life by tolerating pruning.
Where is it bought and what is the price?
You can get it at any nursery or garden store, either physically or online. The price is about 11 euros in a 3 liter pot.
What did you think of this plant? Did you know her?