How to plant lettuce? These vegetables must be one of the most cultivated both in the garden and in pots, and it is that in just three months they are really delicious in salads.
But, to take advantage of the season well, it is important to know what steps to follow to plant them, since this is sure to have an interesting harvest.
When are lettuces planted?
The first thing to ask yourself is, precisely, when are the lettuce. And the truth is that can be planted practically at any time of the year. As they are ready in just twelve weeks, we can be planting without problems from early spring (and even a little earlier if the weather is mild or frost-free) until fall.
In addition, if we have a greenhouse we can do it even in winter, growing them in pots and then, when the good weather returns, planting them in somewhat larger containers or in the ground.
How are they planted?
In the garden
If we want to plant them in the garden we can do it in two different ways:
- One is to flatten the soil and plant the specimens in quincunx, leaving a distance between them of about 20-30 centimeters.
- And another is first digging some trenches, and then planting them next to them, as seen in the image above.
In any case, a rather small planting hole must be made, deep enough for the root ball to enter without difficulty.
If we don't have a vegetable garden, we can enjoy the authentic flavor of lettuces by planting them in pots. following this step by step:
- The first is to remove the seedling from the container where it is, taking care not to damage its roots.
- Then, a pot of about 35-40cm in diameter is filled with substrate for urban garden (for sale here!), and a hole is made in the center.
- The stock is then introduced into that hole so that it is neither too high nor too low.
- Afterwards, the pot is finished filling.
- Finally, it is watered conscientiously and placed in the sun.
I hope it has been useful to you.