The strawberry tree is a small tree or large bush that can be used both to beautify gardens or orchards, and to work as a bonsai. Its resistance to cold and pruning, as well as the delicious fruits it produces, make it one of the most cultivated Mediterranean plants in all the temperate and warm-temperate regions of the world.
But if we focus on the strawberry tree fruit, it has been given really interesting uses. In fact, in addition to being edible, they also have medicinal properties. For all this, we are going to tell you the benefits it has for health, but also how the seeds are sown in case you want to see a grow Arbutus unedo.
Table of Contents
- 1 What benefits does the strawberry tree fruit have?
- 2 How do you eat the fruit of the strawberry tree?
- 3 When are the fruits of the strawberry tree harvested?
- 4 How is the strawberry tree planted?
- 5 What does the strawberry tree need to live well?
What benefits does the strawberry tree fruit have?
The fruit of the strawberry tree is a small berry about 2 centimeters in diameter that is green at first, but then turns yellow and finally red when it finishes ripening. And that's when you can collect and store in the kitchen, or eat. If we opt for this, we have to know that it will bring us multiple benefits.
This is thanks to the fact that they contain several active ingredients, such as tannin, gallic acid and arbutin, which It is used to combat urinary infections, cystitis, and kidney diseases, such as colic.. Also, it can help curb diarrhea.
How do you eat the fruit of the strawberry tree?
Can it be eaten raw? You may have had doubts about how to eat the strawberry tree fruit. At first it's normal, since his skin is rough and that in itself makes us doubt. But do not worry: you can eat it raw without problem, you just have to peel it. It is very easy, since you can do it even with your fingers, without the need to use a knife.
And if it still doesn't convince you, you can try making jam or preserves with it.
What happens if you eat a lot of strawberry trees?
You have to eat strawberry tree in moderation. Its fruits are rich in tannins, which is why they are used to prepare alcoholic beverages such as liqueurs. When you eat too many fruits, you can get drunk. Moreover, his surname »unedo», means »one», and it is recommended to consume only 1 or 2.
When are the fruits of the strawberry tree harvested?
The fruits of this plant take a long time to ripen. The flowers bloom in autumn, more or less in October (in the northern hemisphere), and once they are fertilized, it can take almost a year for them to finish maturing. It's more, they won't until next fall, which is why it is so common to see flowers and berries from the previous year in the same specimen.
Once they have red skin, you can pick them up and consume them without any problem.
How is the strawberry tree planted?
Would you like the day to come when you don't have to buy strawberry trees at the supermarket? Then go ahead and sow seeds. Follow the steps that we tell you below:
- In the fall, get a tray of seedlings like this one that you can buy here!.
- Fill it with specific substrate for seedbeds (you can buy it here!), or with universal farmland.
- Water conscientiously, until you see that the water comes out of the drainage holes of the tray.
- Take the seeds and put two in each alveolus/hole. Put them separately, so that in case they both germinate, it will be easier for you to separate them.
- Cover them with a little substrate. They should not be exposed to direct sunlight, otherwise they will not germinate.
- Throw in some copper powder (get it here!) on top, like adding salt to a salad. This will prevent fungus from appearing.
- Place the tray outside in a sunny spot.
Now you have to water every time you see dry land, and re-pour copper powder every 15 days. This way you will see how your first strawberry trees will germinate throughout the spring. When you see the roots coming out of the holes, you can plant them in individual pots or in the ground.
What does the strawberry tree need to live well?
If you want to know how to take care of the strawberry tree, here is a basic cultivation guide:
El arbutus is a plant that it must be placed outside, in full sun. It is important for him to feel the passing of the seasons, the rain, the wind, etc. He can't be inside the house.
Its roots are not aggressive, but so that it can grow well, that is, straight and not leaning to one side, it is advisable to plant at a distance of at least 2 meters from walls, walls and large plants.
Soil or substrate
- Flower pot: if you want to have it in a pot, you can use a universal substrate for plants like this one from Flower.
- the garden: it grows in acidic, fertile and well-drained soils, but it can get used to limestone.
Irrigation and fertilizer
It is a plant that resists drought, so It will only have to be watered once or twice a week in summer, and once every 15-20 days the rest of the year. Of course, if it is in a pot, you have to check the humidity of the soil from time to time, since the substrate takes longer to dry.
In addition, it has to be paid from spring to autumn. For this, organic fertilizers will be used, such as compost, guano, or the manure of herbivorous animals.
It is important that, if it is kept in a pot, be planted in a larger one every 2 or 3 springs, when we see that the roots come out of the holes in it. And if we want to plant it in the garden, it will also be done when it has rooted well in the pot in order to get it to resume its growth as soon as possible.
The strawberry tree resists frost down to -18ºC, as well as temperatures of up to 40ºC.
We hope that everything we have told you about the strawberry tree fruit has been of interest to you.