El mango It is a fruit tree native to India, whose fruits are so delicious that, today, we can enjoy them even if we are on the other side of the pond. It is a plant that gives very good shade and does not require special care.
Its growth rate is fast, so much so that it is very necessary to know what dimensions it will have if we want to plant a mango, since this will avoid possible problems, such as the loss of plants. Follow our advice to plant a specimen in your garden.
Table of Contents
When to plant mango?
The ideal planting time is in spring, before it resumes its growth. In any case, it is important to know that this is a tree that does not resist frost, so its cultivation outdoors is only recommended in hot climates, with temperatures ranging between 35-38ºC maximum and 10ºC minimum.
For the rest, we will only have to water it two to three times a week, and fertilize it with organic fertilizers so that it produces a large amount of delicious fruits.
How to plant it?
El mango It is a plant that grows up to 30 meters in height, with a 6 meter crown. Thus, if we want to have several, it is best to leave a space between plants of 7-8 meters. In this way, all the specimens will grow without disturbing each other. To plant them, just follow this step by step:
- The first thing to do is the planting hole, which is recommended to measure 1m x 1m, although it may be smaller if the soil has good drainage.
- The earth is then mixed with 30% perlite and 10% of organic fertilizer.
- Once done, the hole is filled with the mixture enough so that the tree is more or less level with the ground.
- Then, the tree is planted, and it is finished filling.
- Finally, a tree is made so that the water stays on the plant, and it is watered.
If we live in an area where the wind blows regularly, it is highly advisable to put a guard on it so that it can grow straight.
How to plant mango in a pot?
Although it is not a tree that is recommended to grow in a pot, sometimes there is no choice.. Either because we do not have a garden, because the temperatures in winter are very low for it and we want to protect it, or because we are simply interested in having it on the patio or terrace, the truth is that it is a plant that can always be in a container and when pruned regularly.
For that, The first thing we will do is choose a large pot. It should be about 10-15 centimeters wider and taller than the one you are using right now, and have drainage holes. The material with which it is made is the least, but it is preferable that it be resistant plastic or terracotta.
The next step is to fill it with a growing medium for an urban garden (for sale here!), or if you prefer universal substrate (for sale here!). You have to add the amount that is necessary, taking into account that the tree should not be too low or too high. In fact, the ideal is that the surface of the root bread is 1-2 centimeters below the edge of the pot, since this will make better use of the water each time it is watered.
Then, the handle will be extracted from the pot in which it is, and it will be planted in the new one by placing it in the center of it. Afterwards, it will finish filling with substrate. And before watering, we will take it to the area where we want it to be.
How to plant mango?
If what you want to know is how to sow mango, that is, how to multiply it by seeds (remember that planting and sowing do not mean the same thing, as we explained in this article), the steps you must follow are the following:
- First, you must wait for spring to come and settle, since mango seeds need a temperature of at least 20ºC to germinate.
- Once the time has come, you can buy a mango at any greengrocer (better if it sells food from organic farming, since those that have seeds will have a better chance of germinating) and eat it.
- Then clean the seed well. You have to be very meticulous, and remove all the remaining pulp otherwise it will fill with fungus in a matter of a few days.
- Now, let it dry a bit for a couple of days. You can have it in the kitchen, in an open tupperware in the meantime.
- After that time, choose a wide pot, about 20 centimeters in diameter, and fill it with specific substrate for seedlings. Then water.
- Next, place the seed on the surface of the substrate and add copper powder to it. This will protect you from fungi.
- To finish, cover it with substrate and take the seedbed outside, in a sunny place.
Do you have mangoes in your garden?