The orange tree is an evergreen fruit tree that produces very characteristic sweet fruits that we all know: oranges. But also, every spring small and fragrant flowers sprout from it that are very decorative; And that is not to mention that over time it can even serve as a shade plant.
For all these reasons, it is a very interesting fruit tree, both to grow in the orchard and in the garden. So…, When to plant orange trees?
Orange trees are trees that reach a height of about 5-6 meters in height, although normally they are not allowed to grow more than three since with those meters it already starts to cost a little to pick the oranges that are higher 🙂. But they are rather small plants, tolerant to pruning, so that they can be kept in gardens or orchards from small to large, and even in flower pot.
Knowing this, it is no wonder that every year there are many people who want to sow orange seeds in spring. But how do you do that? Well, The first thing is to prepare the material that you will need, which is:
- Absorbent paper or cotton
- Clear Plastic Tupperware
- Vermiculite (preferably) or growing medium
- Organic orange
- Label and pencil
You got it? Then now you can follow this step by step:
- The first thing is to get an organic orange, which, unlike those sold in supermarkets, contains seeds.
- Afterwards, you have to eat it 🙂 and clean the seeds well with water, trying to make them free of any rest of the fleshy pulp.
- Then, they are wrapped in a double layer of absorbent paper or cotton previously moistened with water. It is necessary to ensure that it does not leak.
- Next, it is placed in a tupperware without a lid and it is placed near a heat source but without direct sunlight.
- After about 30 days they will germinate and will be sown in individual pots of about 8,5cm in diameter with vermiculite or growing substrate for plants.
- Finally, it is necessary to sprinkle the surface of the substrate with copper or sulfur to avoid the appearance of fungi and insert the label with the sowing date.