The white sapote it is a tropical fruit own from Central America, Mexico and northern South America, which can be found in various markets globally.
This fruit has different varieties, which despite having the same name, are not only of different colors, but also have different flavors, being a little-known fruit outside of the mentioned places.
It is also worth mentioning that the sapote has a spherical shape and flattened on its edges and when it reaches maturity has a smooth, fibrous and soft skin.
Its different varieties have a pulp that can be black and / or orange, although in this case we are talking about the white Sapote, it has a pulp of the same color as its name. This fruit has a taste quite similar to papaya.
It is an evergreen tree that belongs to the Rutaceae family, which comes from Mexico; It grows about 6-10 meters tall and has a thick trunk whose bark is gray, like a wide glass.
Their leaves are usually practically opposite, digitate, compound and petiolate, in addition to having approximately five leaflets (although in certain cases they can be found with 3-4 of them), which are bright green and have an elliptical-ovate shape.
Its flowers are grouped in panicles and are characterized by having a yellowish-green color, in addition to being pentameric and very aromatic. And although its reproduction takes place through seeds, it is possible to find some varieties that can reproduce by grafting. Its fruit is a rounded drupe of a green-yellowish tone, which has a smooth and slightly pruinous skin.
Its pulp, in addition to being juicy, bright and sweet, usually has a white to yellowish tone. This fruit tends to crack when mature, so it is necessary to squeeze it slightly in order to know if it is ready to be consumed.
This fruit takes its name from the white color that characterizes its pulp, and has about 2-5 seeds inside that are medium-large in size and they are free of germ.
The white sapote stands out for being a great source of nutrients, whose consumption allows to obtain iron, niacin, folate, copper, pantothenic acid and potassium, which turn out to be of great importance for the body, because they help maintain good health, which is due to the fact that they form part of various metabolic processes by acting as cofactors of enzymes.
In addition, its fruits have a high content of both vitamin A and Vitamin C, so its intake is really advisable to prevent the appearance of colds and flu, since it helps to increase the defenses, while optimizing the state of the mucous membranes, which are natural barriers that are responsible for fighting infections such as respiratory, among others.
However, the medicinal properties that stand out the most of this fruit are the result of essential oil content that is present in the seeds of its fruit, and especially in the bark of the tree.
The white sapote is characterized by being a highly valued variety due to the medicinal benefits that contribute.
The entire plant from which this variety is produced is usually used for different treatments, an example of this is that its fruit is used in order to prevent the development of flu, while its leaves are used to prepare infusions Through which it is possible to lower blood pressure, and its cortex has astringent substances.
Similarly, other benefits of the white sapote that can be mentioned are the following:
- Improves digestion: This variety of sapote is very appropriate to optimize the digestive processes carried out by the body, since when consumed raw it is a great source that provides dietary fiber.
- Promotes weight loss: the white sapote has a high contribution of fiber not only soluble, but also insoluble. The first of them creates a feeling of satiety by consuming fewer calories, while the second helps to decrease the speed with which the stomach expels digested food.
- Optimize cardiovascular health: Due to its soluble fiber content, the consumption of this fruit helps control cholesterol levels, thereby reducing the risk of developing cardiovascular disorders.
- It allows to fight anemia: One of the greatest additional benefits that this fruit offers consists of its contribution of vitamin B6, which is essential for the production of hemoglobin in the blood, to later transport it to the red blood cells around the body. In this way, it promotes oxygenation and the mobilization of iron throughout the body.
- Strengthens bone and tooth structure: It has a great supply of calcium, which helps keep both bones and teeth protected, while optimizing blood clotting and promoting muscle contractions.
- Improves the immune system: As it has a high content of vitamin C, the consumption of this fruit helps fight and eliminate free radicals and, on certain occasions, triggers the immune response, which is actually the result of inflammation in the affected area.
- Oxygenates the brain: Various investigations indicate that the contribution of vitamin B3 offered by the white sapote helps to prevent the development of Alzheimer's, as well as some other age-related brain disorders, which cause cognitive deterioration.
- It acts as an anti-inflammatory: White Sapote has a powerful anti-inflammatory effect, which allows combating various discomfort conditions, such as: reflux-esophagitis, erosive gastritis, irritating bowel disorders and enteritis, etc.
- Helps reduce premenstrual symptoms: This fruit is very good for reducing pain and even the level of blood lost during the menstrual cycle, as it helps to naturally balance hormones, regulating the cycle.
- It works as an energizer: the ingestion of this fruit provides a significant contribution of energy, which is very convenient for the body. It should be mentioned that by consuming only one serving (about 100g) of white sapote, it is possible to get approximately 80 calories, since it has a high amount of carbohydrates.
- Helps to have healthier skin: Eating this fruit due to its high iron content, allows to offer the skin a much healthier and more radiant appearance in a natural way.