Clay pots are ideal for growing plantsSturdy, very durable, low maintenance and, if that weren't enough, they're gorgeous. Although the price is higher than that of the plastic ones, the quality is higher, and this is something that you notice quickly.
But although they are all similar, there are some that are smaller, others larger, some are lighter in color,… In short, it can be a bit difficult to choose one. So that you can choose the right one for you, here are many tips.
Table of Contents
- 1 Selection of clay pots
- 2 Our top 1
- 3 How to choose a terracotta pot?
- 4 Shopping guide
- 5 How to make a homemade terracotta pot?
- 6 Where to buy clay pots?
Selection of clay pots
Our top 1
If you want to buy a suitable terracotta pot, with an excellent value for money, we recommend the following:
Small terracotta pot
- It is a pack of 12 pots of 8 centimeters in diameter for the same height.
- They are perfect for cuttings, small succulents, aromatics, etc.
- Its design is simple, so it can be painted if desired.
- Its size is not the most suitable for palm trees or trees for example. Due to the characteristics of these plants, the pots of 8 centimeters in diameter would quickly become too small for them.
- The price can be high.
Large terracotta pot
- It measures 17 centimeters in diameter by 19 centimeters in height.
- It is very interesting to plant bulbs, flowers, or even trees or palm trees (young) and keep them there for a few years.
- It has a hole in its base, so when watering the water it will come out through it. In addition, a plate is included.
- Its dimensions may turn out to be small for compositions.
- It does not require maintenance, but it is important to be careful so that it does not fall.
Enameled clay pot
- Its measurements are 18 x 18 centimeters, so it has a capacity of 4,5 liters.
- It has a hole in its base so that the water does not remain stagnant. It also includes a plate.
- It is ideal both to have outside and inside the home.
- The size of the pot is fine for many plants, but if you want to grow large species in it, you may not be able to use it for a long time.
- The value for money is excellent, although it is possible to find cheaper ones.
How to choose a terracotta pot?
It is not easy, and everything will depend largely on the plant we want to plant in it. And we will not choose the same for a small cactus than for a tree of a certain size, because the first in a large container would rot, and the second in a small container ... well, it just wouldn't fit.
So, taking this into account, the appropriate pot is one that:
- It will allow the plant to grow for a while; that is, their roots will have enough room to grow without problems for at least a year until the next transplant.
As a general rule, the new pots should have a diameter of 2-3cm and a depth of about 5cm greater than those of the 'old' ones.
- It will have at least one hole in its base that will serve so that the irrigation water that remains can go out there. Ideally, you should have several small ones instead of one large one.
Do I choose a large or small terracotta pot?
If the plant you want to put in is small and has a superficial root system, like succulents (including cacti), without a doubt acquire a small one. But if, on the contrary, it is a plant that already has a certain size and that you know that it will grow a lot or that it will need space, such as trees, palms or climbing plants, go for a large one.
Glazed or normal?
The enameled clay pots They are beautiful, they have a color that draws a lot of attention and they are even original, since they are not usually seen much in patios or balconies, when the reality is that they are great to put in corners where the sunlight does not reach much. But the normal they often have some ornamental detail that makes them very pretty; In addition, they generally last longer.
Cheap or expensive?
Neither one nor the other: the one you like. There are expensive clay pots that are not very good, and there are cheap clay pots that on the contrary surprise you, and for good. Theirs is, before buying one, inform yourself, and if possible, read the opinions of people who have bought the same that you want to acquire.
How to make a homemade terracotta pot?
A very simple way to make a terracotta pot is following this step by step:
- Get about 400 grams of clay and moisten it with water.
- Now, knead it with your hands so that the air bubbles come out. This makes it more flexible and easier to work with. Do not bend or poke it: any air intake could cause it to explode in the oven.
- Let it sit for at least a day in the sun to dry.
- After that time, shape the piece of clay into a pot by working the sides with your thumb and index finger. Flatten the base and do not forget to make a hole so that the water can come out.
- Then, put it in the oven at about 350 degrees using a cookie sheet, and leave it there for 30 to 60 minutes. Check every 15 minutes for cracks.
- Lastly, take it out of the oven and let it cool completely.
The only thing left to do, if you wanted, would be to color and / or decorate it.
Where to buy clay pots?
Here you have a great catalog of clay pots for sale, with really interesting prices. What's more, the good thing about Amazon is that buyers leave their opinion of the products, so it is easy not to be wrong. As if that were not enough, from its mobile application you can be aware of your order.
At the Leroy Merlin they sell a wide variety of clay pots, which you can buy by going to a physical store or from their website. Of course, in the latter you will see that you cannot leave any feedback, so in case of doubt you will have to contact them directly.
Nurseries and specialty stores
Both in nurseries -especially in garden centers- and in potteries you will find a wide variety of models. Yes indeed, the prices may not be what one expects, but the quality is high.
We hope that you have learned a lot about this type of pots, and that from now on it will be very easy for you to find your favorites.