El lemon Tree It is an evergreen fruit tree highly valued in gardens and orchards in temperate to warm regions around the world. Not only does it produce some fruits that are used to flavor multiple recipes, but it can also provide enough shade to be able to plant some plants that need to be protected from direct sun, which would undoubtedly have a very special corner.
But of course, it is not enough to plant it in a suitable area, but it is also necessary to provide a series of care to keep it in good health. Let's see what they are.
The lemon tree is a relatively easy plant to care for, but several things must be taken into account so that it can grow and develop without problems. They are as follows:
- Location: it must be kept outside, in full sun. It can also grow in semi-shade as long as it is in an area with good light.
- Subscriber: very important to pay in spring and summer with organic fertilizers. It must be alternated, since it has a great demand for macro and micronutrients. So, you can pay a month with manure of cow, and the following month with seaweed extract fertilizer that has more micronutrients.
- Irrigation: frequent. During the warm months it has to be watered every 2 or 3 days, and the rest of the year every 4 or 5 days.
- Pruning: once a year, in autumn or at the end of winter, dead, weak or diseased branches have to be removed. The suckers have to be led to the lateral branch.
- Pests: can be affected by mealybugs, aphids, whiteflies and leaf miners. They can be prevented by treating with Neem oil or with potassium soap. In autumn I recommend treating it with insecticidal oil.
- Diseases: fungi such as Phytophthora and viruses, such as sadness virus. They cannot be fought, but they can be prevented, keeping the tree properly fertilized and watered, and pruning it using tools previously disinfected with pharmacy alcohol.
- Land: it grows spectacularly well in those that are slightly acidic, but it can also develop in those that are clayey.
- Rusticity: it is sensitive to intense frosts. Supports up to -4ºC.
Have a good harvest 🙂.